A low-key Phoenix training became a game of "guess who" as coach
Ricki Herbert claimed the imminent signing of an attacking
midfielder from a European first division league.
Herbert, whose team play New Zealand under-20 in a preseason
match in Auckland tomorrow, hinted at some big news for Phoenix
fans next week.
"It would be quite an exciting signing for the club," he said
yesterday.
"I like the look of this one; a good pedigree, playing in a good
competition. I know the agent - [he's] brought other players to the
A-League and they've been very good players."
Herbert does a good poker face but he offered the following
morsels in the game of 20 questions.
Q: Is he British? A: No, more continental Europe.
Q: Does he speak English? A: He actually does, I believe, which
would be a help.
Q: How old? A: 28.
Q. You're not going to tell us his name, are you? A: He is still
contracted but there is an out clause and we're working on that out
clause, and that looks very favourable for us. I wouldn't want to
jeopardise it because I'm pretty keen to get him.
Herbert confirmed the mystery midfielder "has been playing in a
first division league" and had a handy goals-to-games ratio.
"He's coming out of a pretty strong competition. The team he
plays for is irrelevant, but the competition is important. It's a
decent league."
Discussions had progressed quickly and Herbert hoped a signature
could be secured midway through next week. "I think the club
deserves something like that."
Another Europe-based striker would also be arriving on a trial
basis, he said. As it stands, the Phoenix have 14 players on their
books, and Herbert hopes to have the full complement of 20 by the
end of August.
One of those could be young Australian defender Nick Tsattalios
who will play left back against the under-20s, then Waitakere, on
Wednesday.
"Nick's got good A-League experience and he was a real talent at
Sydney FC when he was 16. He's a good chance at this stage. He's
done everything really well."
Other triallists, young Victorian defender Bryan Bran and
Spaniard Danny Sanchez, who is battling a quad strain, will be
closely watched in Auckland.
Former Juventus goalkeeper Jess Vanstrattan was still in the
mix, Herbert said, along with two other Europe-based keepers.
The Phoenix opened their pre-season campaign with a 6-1 win over
Western Suburbs on Wednesday. Striker Paul Ifill had returned in
good shape while Tony Lochhead (groin injury) will travel to
Auckland but probably won't play.
New strength and conditioning coach Lee Taylor put the players
through a torrid session yesterday in preparation.
"The [pre-season] results are irrelevant but I'm pleased. I
think we're on track," said Herbert, whose team opens its campaign
against Gold Coast on October 9.
Google Search
All News and Results concerning famous tournament in the world such african cup (can), world cup, euro, Copa America, transfer...
Friday, July 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 commentaires:
Post a Comment